The Never Ending Median

What good is a ship afraid to sail from its own shore?

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I loved "Idlewild"........the first time I saw it.

I have waited nearly two years for "Idlewild" to come out. I have had many a conversation about how great this movie is going to be. I was mad when "ATL" got the big financing and backing and came out first. I mean c'mon people. America likes rappers in movies that may lack the artistic beauty and focus more on thug life undertones. Maybe i am the only one who sees this as an accepted racial stereotype, maybe every rapper is cool with it, but I can't watch each rapper in the same either autobiography or coming of age melodrama without wondering if there is not perhaps a more diverse role out there. Sorry.
But "Idlewild" was the first time I thought that a musical/period piece had the innovation I was seeking. At this point, if you haven't seen it and are anxiously awaiting to, do not read on. I am going to give it away. Disclaimer done.
Now my day sucked Friday. The bar is in the middle of backstabbing, shady bullshit that all seems to trickle back to me directly or indirectly. Bleh. I started at this place for the fact that it was low on drama and shadiness. Oh well, everything has its moments. But, Titz had cancelled and I was down to drunk hillstreet as my partner in crime. Don't ask her for a review though, as she yelled at the screen for the first twenty minutes or so and then passed out on my shoulder. (Don't worry girl, I got ya.) But i truly was pumped. The dancing alone had me excited. And the cinematography.....wow. And the music was very Andre. My favorite. Even remixed one of the best tracks from "The Love Below". And no, it wasn't "Hey Ya".
So, there I was. ready. And I loved it. It was a beautiful movie. It had some weakpoints, but as a visionary masterpiece in terms of film....mission accomplished. One problem....I have seen it before. It was officially "Moulin Rouge" of the Black Renaissance. I mean, same plot, same camera angles and tricks, same lead in to musical numbers, same characters. Now, Moulin Rouge might be my favorite movie of all time, thus, so is Idlewild, but didn't anyone notice this in reviewing it? I don't know if that is good or bad, like I said, as I love MR so much, but it made it so predictable that I couldn't be as entranced by it as I planned. Still, go see it. make Hollywood give us something a little more artistic for once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home