The Never Ending Median

What good is a ship afraid to sail from its own shore?

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Learning experiences........

Still love Hong Kong. Totally. But perhaps a couple of things should be posted for those who may come to visit me when I make the move in a couple of years. Plus, just funny stuff.

Firstly, when i got here I was on my own to try and find Kris, hence the $548HK cab ride. And, I had thought that cabs in the islands and South America scared me, but oh no. We call it "the fear" here. "The fear" is what you get everytime you take your life into your hands and hop in a cab. Think of that "almost" moment of impact while driving or riding in a car, the raised pulse, the sweat, the chest tightening, all the good stuff........that is what you get about every 30 seconds here. Actually, in Kowloon, it doesn't leave. But yesterday we went to Lamtau to make the pilgrimage to the monestary and sacred Buddha, and it rocked. We rode a cable car that, as my friend Rinnette could tell you, if you get over the distance and height, is soooo worthwhile. It goes high above the mountains and the views are worth the nervous tummy if you hate enclosed, dangling, high spaces. Me, no biggie. However, the cab ride back to the MTR was awesome. Picture mountains. Now picture winding roads on the edge of large plummetting gourges. Now picture a one lane road. Only, the one lane road is for two way traffic. Hmmmmm. I rode shot gun and we were cool driving crazily fast down the mountain as we assumed this was a oneway street. So the cabbies drive fast and hug corners, you are already adjusted to that by this time. But as a BUS, that's right, a BUS people, comes around the corner head on, it is instinctual to scream. But our Sherpa of automotive transport didn't even blink, as this was the way it was the whole way down. There are tiny stopping spots on corners where each driver must decide if it is go time or no time. It is the shooting craps of driving. We made it, we have the pictures to convey the horror, and now the story to tell. But even as we got back to Kowloon, Rinnette almost took a bus to her door. "The Fear". You will have it in cabs here.

Another thing, another blog posted about a tempermental shower awhile back. Anyone who lives in apartments in the city can feel his pain. But here, wow. it ios not the option of "what will the temp of the water be?", it is "please don't burn my skin off, shower". Now, due to the fact that I am basically squatting in my own flat here as a girl moved out and no one moves in until Sunday, I have my own bathroom and bed in 14x7 square feet. (It is like a upscale jail cell with a great view, so no complaints) But, Kris warned me that the water is frighteningly hot, all the time, so I turn it to cold as far as it goes and just aim the shower head away from me and use it in well monitored spurts. (Trust me, when your toilet, sink, and shower are in the same 3x4 ft space, you don't stay in there long!) But, I stumbled yesterday and fell against the pipe on the wall. Now, I have a second degree burn on my arm. Yep, it is that hot. So be warned. However, I will say they gave me a Chinese balm to put on it and this stuff rocks! It kills the pain and keeps it moist. It is awesome. But it is funny that when asked what the hell I did, I say I took a shower. I learned the hard way, as Charles said.

Lastly, I am open to trying new things. I love it. I truly believe that it is rude to make fun of what another culture eats just because, especially in terms of meats, they have access to different things. Would I eat Lila or Ike? Probably not. But if dog was the readily available meat to me would I purchase it and eat it? Probably. And, I am that dare girl. You want someone to taste it? I will do it. How bad can it be?
Yesterday at the monestary however I learned about the nourishing properties of eating swallow's nests. Now they basically use their spit to build them, but it has more protein than most all products in the world. And the list of medicinal purposes goes on and on. I couldn't eat a whole nest, but I knew I could drink one. So, I tried the Ginseng and Austailian frog jelly juice made from the nest. (Supposed to help smokers especially). I went in open-minded, but I have to say, my gag reflex was not keen on the frog jelly. And the taste was oddly salty sweet. Not to incrimate myself, but it oddly resembled a sweeter version of GHB. I finished the whole bottle as not to be rude, but I did use the childhood drink of holding my breath and chugging. I also used my teeth as a makeshift strainer for the jelly to keep it to a minimum. I felt a bit nauseous after, but feel amazingly good today. So, does it work? I have to say yes, but good luck drinking it. (And FYI, just because MacDonald's is open 24/7 and delivers, doesn't mean you should try the "Chicken Fantastic" while drunk. It is not fantastic. And possibly not chicken)

But, those are my warnings and funny bits of lessons learned thus far. I am off to the Festival of Lanterns in Kowloon. It has been their Independence Day this week and now the Mid-Autumn Festival. I love that I seem to show up in other countries during their holidays. It is shock and awe and beauty and wonder and knowledge and peace, all in one. So, to everyone who is searching for the answers outside of what they know, "Beached" by Angelo Badalamenti and Orbital. It is my soundtrack right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home